“The Carolina Cup is the only official Association of Paddlesurf Professionals event in 2021,” said Tristan Boxford, CEO of the APP. “This event will feature both distance and sprints with APP prize money. However, due to extraordinary circumstances, we are not moving forward with a World Tour this year.”
The APP is recognized and sanctioned as the official world championship tour for standup paddling by the International Olympic Committee’s Federation for Surfing Sports and the International Surfing Association.
The Carolina Cup is a four-day festival of events featuring seven races, seminars and clinics by the pros, product exhibits and demonstrations. Ideally located with both oceanfront and soundside beaches, all races and activities start and end at Blockade Runner Beach Resort, the official resort of the Carolina Cup. Activities begin on Nov. 4 and conclude on Nov. 7.
Races on the Carolina Cup schedule include:
- The Graveyard Race – A brutal 13.1-mile ocean and flatwater race for the elite and professional paddleboard racers, beginning and ending in the surf on the beach, standup paddleboard or prone.
- The APP Sprints – A dynamic short course (300m) racing that provides dramatic action and a racing spectacle like no other. The elimination format provides a great opportunity for all Racers and allows the best to rise to the top. Pro and Amateur eliminations will be held on Sunday
- The Money Island Open Race – A 10-kilometer flatwater race designed for the intermediate to advanced paddler, standup paddleboard, prone, kayak, surfski, outrigger canoe (OC-1 and OC-2).
- The Harbor Island Recreational Race – A 5-kilometer flatwater race for first-time to intermediate paddleboarders; standup paddleboard; prone.
- The Graveyard Surfski, Outrigger, and Kayak Race – A 13.1-mile elite race starting and finishing on the sound side, circumventing Wrightsville Beach, kayak; surfski, outrigger canoe (OC-1 and OC-2).
- The Three Island Challenge – Start to finish on the sound side, this 9-mile race is for six-team ocean canoe crews (OC-6) male, female, and mixed-gender teams. The race circumvents the marshes and undisturbed islands and lowlands behind Masonboro, Money, and Harbor Islands.
- The Kids Race – For children 6 to 14, one and two-loop course races on the sound.
The designated charity for the 2021 Carolina Cup is Nourish North Carolina, a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to provide healthy food to hungry children, enabling them to succeed in the classroom and their communities.
Carolina Cup information and registration
Blockade Runner Accommodations
Wrightsville Beach Paddle Club
Director of Communications
APP World Tour / Waterman League
P: +44 7580 779 536
Robert B. Butler
North Carolina Press Release
Permission granted for redistribution
#APPWorldTour #CarolinaCup #WrightsvilleBeach #NorthCarolina #APP #WBPC #MichaelBooth #AprilZilg #Seychelle #FionaWylde #SonniHönscheid #GraveyardRace #BlockadeRunnerResort #WorldPaddleAssociation #SUP #Paddleboard #OC1 #OC2 #OC6 #Surfski #Kayak #ProneSUP #NourishNC #Paris #GranCanaria